Friday, October 31, 2014

Class Showcase: Fighters

It’s week five of my Class Showcase series, where I take a class from D&D and give three examples from popular culture. This week: Fighters.

#3 Inigo Montoya (The Princess Bride)



It’s important to note that there are many different kinds of fighters in the D&D world, just as there are in pop-culture. In D&D, Inigo would be classified as a finesse fighter. He’s a fencer and has dedicated his life to the study of swordplay all in an effort to avenge his murdered father. Also, near the end of the movie after he is horribly wounded and then he gets back to his feet and continues to fight, that is the best example of a ‘second wind’ I’ve ever witnessed. His sword and his vengeance are his life and I’m sure that he has been the template for many characters (both PC and NPC) over the years. “You killed my father, prepare to die!”  

#2 Brienne of Tarth (Game of Thrones)



A second example of a fighter is the Knight and while there are many male examples available in pop culture, only one female promptly pops into my head: Brienne. In the books, as with the HBO series, Brienne is a highborn lady who has forsaken her feminine heritage and has re-forged herself into a knight of the highest caliber, male or female. Even though she is repeatedly forced into difficult choices and situations, she always manages to escape them with her honor and morals intact. She even manages to fight toe-to-toe with some of the most dangerous male fighters in the Game of Thrones series and, in most cases, she proves that she is the better.     

#1 Bruce Lee (Enter the Dragon, etc.)



Bruce Lee is an excellent example of both a martial artist and a street fighter. And I humbly submit that no one has yet to impress me in either of these areas like him. While I could site his speed, or strength from such a small frame, or his accuracy, for me personally it is his passion for his skills that impress me the most. It is a real treat to watch Mr. Lee at work and it is exactly his level of skill I expect from a high level D&D hero.    


No comments:

Post a Comment